Monday, May 15, 2006

I HAD A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND!

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry gave me a beautiful pink geranium plant
for Mother's day and took me to lunch at Ryan's
to eat off the buffet. The day started with a lovely
surprise that Barry gave me. When I got up Sunday morning I went to the kitchen and was puzzled when I opened the dishwasher door and the machine was empty. Then, I remembered that
the machine had washed a large load of dishes the previous
night and Barry, knowing I dislike emptying the machine, had
done the chore for me for Mother's day. Actually, Barry
does dozens of things for me every week and not just on
Mother's day and I am grateful for having such a fine son.

When we arrived at Ryan's for an early lunch, the parking lot was almost filled with cars and when we entered the restaurant with the many people, we were wondering if we should have
gone somewhere else to eat. But, the cashiers and waitresses
were efficient and helpful and we were seated almost immediately. We were assured that the food was
fresh as Barry says diners were scooping it up as fast as
the food was brought out. Several waitresses wished me a Happy Mother's day and Barry and I chuckled as people often tell us
that we resemble each other and there's no doubt that he is my son.

We had a tentative plan to go up to the Piccadilly at Hamilton Place in Chattanooga on Sunday. But, bad weather was predicted
and we put that plan on hold for another Sunday. I am looking
forward to it as I haven't been up there in over a year.

Until last Friday, I hadn't been to the grocery store since
before last Christmas. I have only been a few times since I fell and injured my shoulder and arm last year. Barry does an excellent job of shopping for groceries. I make a detailed list and he follows it. But, I like to go sometime to select
my groceries. I've spoken to several friends and relatives who have health problems and feel strong regrets
that they are unable to do their own shopping. And, for me,
it is still a treat to tag along with Barry to the store.

I always enjoy shopping at Ingle's super grocery store in Chatsworth with its high ceilings with skylights and everything
painted white and the spacious layout of delicious foods
and large aisles. During our shopping trip, I made it fine until we were almost finished with the shopping. I was beginning to feel tired and Barry suggested that I rest in one of the easy chairs in the book store while he finished the shopping. I didn't protest and nearly fell asleep while I waited for Barry.


I hope all of you had a Happy Mother's day, too.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home