Monday, August 21, 2017

FINAL NOVEL RELEASED

August 21, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

My final book, "The Bend in the Road", has been published through Amazon.  The book can be purchased through Amazon on a Kindle or paperback.  I received my copy in paperback and am very pleased and impressed at how well it turned out.
I pray that the novel will be a success as I will soon be 90 and my lifetime goal will be a reality.  Also, it would be wonderful if it could be a financial success so I could give Barry and Tam financial security.
The only thing I would want for myself would be to have a night caregiver.  I'm like the heroine in the novel, I'm afraid of the darkness at night.  I can't sleep without a night light.  Sometimes I have bad dreams and need someone to comfort me.  Barry works and needs his sleep and I don't want to wake him.
I want to publicly thank Tam for making the publishing of the new novel, as well as my other books a reality.  She is not only my caregiver but also my secretary, personal assistant, editor and typist.
The novel was written in the 1980's at night after a day's work and my daily chores of being a wife and mother.  When it was completed I sent it to a literary agent who loved it.  She thought she had it sold to a major publisher.  She called and said the editors on the editorial board wanted to publish it but were waiting for final approval from the senior editor.  Keep in mind I had a reputation of being a tough newspaper reporter and writer of a daily column which was often controversial.  Then the agent called and said the senior editor had rejected it because it was "too Southern".  I wondered if they had ever heard of Tennessee Williams.  I also briefly thought of the famous Southern author who once wrote that if she wrote a book in Japanese the characters would have a Southern accent.
 Then, I lost it.  I cried like a baby, my heart broke, and it was a year before I wrote anything except personal letters.  Then God, with my sister, Jeannette's help, sent Tam to me.  I had started writing a blog.  I started having health problems and Tam started typing and editing my blogs.
She read my many manuscripts and loved them.  Each one had been typed on a typewriter when they were originally written.  In her spare time using Barry's computer, she re-typed and prepared them for publication.
Our longtime friend, Kym came by for a visit on Sunday.  She stayed with me so Barry could get away for awhile.  She brought her copy of my new book for me to sign.  I know the odds are against having a best seller, but I'm praying for a miracle.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home