Monday, July 31, 2017

SPIN THE BOTTLE

July 31, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

While thinking about what I would write about in this blog, I recalled that I've been writing this blog since 2003 and had previously written a daily newspaper column for 10 years.  So, I'm quite sure that I've repeated myself over the years.  I hope my long term readers will understand.
Barry told me this week, he is going to give me a party on my 90th birthday this December 10th.  That reminded me of the fabulous birthday parties my late mother gave me until I was 13.  That year mother agreed to have a boy - girl party at night time.  I thought she was in a really good mood so I asked if we could play the game, "spin the bottle", and she agreed.  Before I became too excited, she explained that her version of the game was that the boy and girl could walk around the outside of our house.  Even within the restrictions the party was a success.
The next day when my girlfriends and I were discussing the party, we were shocked by the confession of one friend who said she let a boy kiss her when they walked around the house.  (She, like myself was a preacher's daughter and you know what they say about preacher's kids.)  We were awestruck when she described the kiss, and keep in mind this was a time of innocence, at least for the girls in my east Tennessee community.  If a boy and girl held hands at a movie, it was exciting for both of them.
I was diagnosed with dementia last year, which means my short term memory is getting shorter, and I agree.  I have Barry and Tam to remind me of what I need to remember.  My long term memory is amazing to those I talk to.
One of my earliest memories was when I was about 4 years old.  My parents took me to what may have been a park in Chattanooga to see Tom Mix, an American film actor who was the star of many early Western movies between 1909 and 1935.  He appeared in 291 films, 9 of which were silent movies.  He was Hollywood's first Western star and helped define the genre as it emerged in the early days of the cinema.
Two things remained important in my life until recently.  One was books.  I still have my first book, "Little Women", which I read many times.  The other was movies.  I haven't seen a movie in several years.  My two favorite movies are "From Here to Eternity" and "The Godfather".
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home