Monday, July 10, 2017

CAPTIVATING ELVIS

July 10, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

Now that I'm a frail 89, it tires me to write.  I've always been a compulsive writer and I guess I'll dictate a blog to Tam on my death bed.  I don't feel too good today (Sunday), but I have writing a blog on my mind and won't be able to relax until it's written.  I've been writing a blog since 2003, so I've probably written on this subject.  If I have, bear with me.
I've been thinking for several days that I've been fortunate to have seen some famous entertainers perform live.  Today, I'm going to comment on what I think was the best show and the worst show.
It won't be a surprise to my long time readers that my favorite show was Elvis Presley.  The show was in 1973 at the Atlanta's old Omni.  The demand for tickets was so great it was sold out for four performances.  Ralph and I and young Barry saw the fourth show.  I've never been able to explain the atmosphere in the Omni.  It was like an electric current in the air.
At the time of the show to begin the lights went out.  A smooth, loud voice announced, "Elvis has entered the building".  Then the lights came on and a still slender, incredibly good looking Elvis was standing on stage.  Then, he began to sing with his orchestra and backup singers.  Barry recalls that the show we saw was his Vegas act.  The security was tight.  I briefly stood up at an exciting moment and security tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to sit down.  When the show ended, the lights went out and the voice announced, "Elvis has left the building"
On the drive home, I remembered the day when I was driving home from work in 1956 and I had the car radio on when the DJ announced he was going to play a new record with the title, "Heartbreak Hotel", by an unknown singer with the name, "Elvis Presley".  I was captivated!  The next day I and millions of others who heard it, bought the record.  (I still have it in my office.)  The song won every award and the rest is history.
The most disappointing live performance was the comedian, Bob Hope.  It was held at an outdoor theater in St. Petersburg, Florida.  He had all of his "sidekicks" and a beautiful young blonde on stage.  I didn't find him the least bit funny.  Actually, he was pathetic.  When his jokes "laid eggs" he started telling off color jokes.  The people in the audience started leaving.  One young man seated near us laughed hysterically and we decided he was a "plant".
Barry read on the internet recently that Bob Hope relied entirely on "scripted jokes".  He also read that Johnny Carson didn't think highly of him.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home