Thursday, June 29, 2017

FINAL NOVEL

June 29, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

My final novel will be published soon by Amazon.  I may have mentioned before that it is set and originally written in the 1980's against the backdrop of the multimillion dollar carpet industry in North Georgia and a cattle farm.  The theme is divorce and how it affects the entire family.
Barry has said he remembers when I worked for the newspaper, was a wife and mother and kept our home, then stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning working on my novel.  I had a literary agent who almost had the novel sold when the senior editor rejected it because it was "too Southern".
After several years of heartbreak, I decided to try Amazon.  It had to be re-typed on the computer.  Tam has worked on it when she has time.  She told me today that she only has one more chapter to type.  Even if you publish through Amazon you have to have publicity to sell the books.  I plan to print the first chapter of the book on this blog and hope my readers will buy it.  If it just sold reasonably well, I think I could die happy.  I'll let you know when the novel is ready.
Barry and I were talking last night about some people thinking my sisters and I are weird.  Actually, I think our whole family is.  I prefer to be called eccentric.  When we were small, our fun loving daddy would slip outside about once a week with a white bedsheet and while we were busy playing in the living room, he would put the sheet over his head and make a ghostly sound.  We knew it was him, but we were still scared but loved it.
Our mother was also strange.  One night Frank Sinatra was the featured singer on the old radio show, "Hit Parade".  My sisters and I were listening to "Crooner" Frank Sinatra on the program.  He was a teenage idol whose fans would "swoon" at his concerts.  While he was singing, mother rushed into the room and fell on her knees and yelled, "Oh, Frankie, you make me swoon".  We thought she was ridiculous.
What precious memories I have....  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home