Monday, June 12, 2017

RECENT VISITOR

June 12, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

I had a delightful and inspiring visitor recently.  She is Rev. Tamlyn Collins, pastor of Chatsworth (GA) First United Methodist Church.  For a number of years I was an active member of this church.  I taught the Kindergarten Sunday school class and enjoyed it very much.  Rev. Collins was interested in my ties to the Methodist Church.  My maternal grandfather was a horse riding circuit Methodist Church preacher.  My daddy and father-in-law were also Methodist ministers.  Rev. Collins prayed an inspiring prayer for me.  She then sang in a clear, beautiful voice the hymn "How Great Thou Art".  It brought tears to my eyes.
Awhile back, with Tam's help, I made plans for my funeral.  There was only one thing missing and that was who would officiate my funeral.  As I talked to Rev. Collins, I knew she was the one I wanted.  I asked her and she said she would be honored.  Years ago, I asked our friend, Kym, who has a beautiful voice, to sing "In The Garden" at the opening of the service.  I also want Rev. Collins to close the brief service with the song "How Great Thou Art".
The main reason I've planned this service is for my only child, Barry.  We are very close and he would like to believe I'll live forever.  Tam has promised to stay with me until the end and help Barry.  I've also written my obituary which Tam can revise when the time comes, which I hope will not be for awhile.  Hopefully I have everything in order.
I have been in a lot of pain due to IBS and arthritis this weekend.  I hope next week is better.  Any prayers would be appreciated.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home