Monday, July 24, 2017

WRITING IS MY PASSION

July 24, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

Barry printed a list this weekend of my most popular blogs of the past six months.  This list is further proof to me that I have no talent predicting any of my writing's popularity.  Topping the list is Sand Mountain which has interesting history and was posted September 10, 2013.  It has been on the list since it was first posted.  Another blog on the list surprised me.  It was titled Brother which is about my cousin who was like a brother.  It was posted on May 30, 2017.
Some of the blogs listed were not at all popular with local readers.  Go figure!  I haven't been successful in predicting the popularity of my novels either.  I guess if I wasn't a compulsive writer I wouldn't continue writing at the age of eighty-nine.  I knew when I was a little girl I would one day be a writer.  I've had a long love affair with newspapers.  There were times when I thought of becoming a newspaper writer.  But, my main love was fiction.  Even at a young age, I knew I had a lot of living to do and emotions to experience to write fiction.
My first novel, Catch the Brass Ring, was as the great Kristofferson wrote in a song, "partly truth, partly fiction".  I had my first writing break with newspapers when I was in my thirties.  Over the years, I worked on the novel.  I had no trouble finding a top literary agent who loved the novel, but said it was too long.  I cut out a big part of the novel and one character I loved.  (Barry says I talk about my fictional characters as if they are real people, and to me they are as I created them.  I grieved for the character I killed and later brought him back to life in another novel.)  This novel is set during the World War II years.
Some people I meet look me up on the internet and are surprised the novel, Princess Mooneyes which I sold to a German publisher many years ago is still popular.  This is a story about a young woman who is half American Cherokee Indian and half American English.  The man she falls in love with calls her Princess Mooneyes when he remembers an old legend about a group of white people with blue eyes that settled on Fort Mountain thousands of years ago.  The Indians believed the mooneyed people could see better at night which is why they were called mooneyed.  This novel is available at Amazon.
Thanks to beautiful hair stylist, Carrie Jackson, of N-Style in Dalton.  I recently had a much needed haircut in my home.  She is Tam's daughter and mother of two beautiful daughters.  She has cut and styled my hair for several years in her shop but recently started coming to me.  She always cuts my hair in an attractive, easy to maintain style.
A word of encouragement to people who want to write.  Do it regardless of your circumstances.  When I started writing professionally my office was a space in the living room of our small house.  My desk was an old card table.  The typewriter was a Royal manual that I borrowed from a neighbor.  My filing cabinet was a cardboard box.  My chair was a hard wooden kitchen chair.  Now I have a large well equipped office with the walls lined with bookcases.  Unfortunately I'm unable to write in there.  But, Tam utilizes the office space and takes care of my business.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

amazon.com Olivene Godfrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home