Monday, October 24, 2016

SEVERE UTI

October 24, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey with Tambra Little contributing

Some of you know I am in the process of recovering from a severe bout with a urinary tract infection (UTI).  I was in the hospital for awhile.  I am back home now and my long time friend and caregiver, Tam is caring for me weekdays, with son, Barry taking care of me weekends and nights.  The antibiotic I was taking made me very nauseated and I haven't completely recovered from it.  So, I still can't eat much and have lost some weight.

Tam will explain how the UTI affected me:  At the beginning Barry and I thought Olivene had a stroke.  She was hallucinating and quite agitated and not making much sense.  She didn't run any fever or seem to be in any pain.  After taking her to the emergency room, the staff quickly discovered it was a UTI and quite common for the elderly.  She was in the hospital about 5 days and on antibiotics.  They sent her home with home health coming to check on her.  After a couple of weeks, home health did a urinalysis and discovered the UTI wasn't going away.  We then ended up taking her back to the local hospital and she was there for another 3 days.  After changing her antibiotics three times, she was prescribed the one that would treat the infection.  She is much, much better.  Her mind is much clearer and she is getting her strength back.

I want to tell you how it affected me.  I know now the elderly, like me (I'll soon be 89), are often misdiagnosed with the early stages of Dementia or Alzheimer's, because symptoms include confusion, agitation and hallucinations.  Sometimes that's the only symptoms of a UTI in the elderly.

I was scared and Barry and Tam say they were afraid I was losing my mind.  While I was in the hospital Barry talked with Dr. Mitchell Wilson, Medical Director of Murray County Hospital.  He advised that it was a possibility and prompted us to see a Neurologist, which I have an upcoming appointment.  I'd like to commend and thank the doctors and nurses of Murray County Hospital.  They were very professional and helpful.  Also, Amedisys Home Health, which is still coming to see me weekly, or as needed.

I'm still not able to eat any kind of sweet food.  It still makes me nauseated.  But, salty foods, especially Premium Saltine Crackers taste delicious.  Now we add peanut butter sometimes.  I have also added toasted cheese sandwiches.  Barry is planning to fix me grits for breakfast tomorrow (Sunday).  For years, I've had a fried egg white sandwich on Sunday night for supper.  I'm going to try it again.

I'll keep you posted on my recovery.  Please keep me in your prayers.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home