Tuesday, July 21, 2015

WHO LIKES OATMEAL?

July 21, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

I've written previously about some people, including myself, who consider oatmeal to be a perfect food.  For instance, I had high cholesterol for a number of years.  I took medication for it to no avail.  Then one day I read an article about oatmeal lowering cholesterol in some people.

I thought it would be worth a try.  I had always enjoyed eating oatmeal so I began having a bowl every morning.  (You need to eat the oatmeal regularly for a while to be sure your cholesterol is lower.)  The next time I had my cholesterol checked it had dramatically lowered.  Since then I eat a bowl of oatmeal every day.

I understand why some people claim they don't like oatmeal, especially if it isn't prepared correctly.  I've been served a bowl of thick, cold oatmeal with no sweetener or milk.  Ugh!!  I couldn't eat that "mess" which is often served in some hospitals and nursing homes.

My son Barry makes the best oatmeal for me every morning that I've ever eaten.  It is served hot with milk and a combination of sugar and splenda.  He says he just follows the directions listed on the container.

An elderly woman, now deceased, told me she had only eaten oatmeal once in her long life.  During the Great Depression in the 1930's, this woman's dad, a carpenter, moved his wife and 10 children to South Florida where he found work.  A co-worker gave him a large container of oatmeal.  He and his wife had never eaten the cereal.  My friend's mother cooked it and gave portions to each child with no sugar or milk.  My friend could only eat a bite before feeling sick and her younger sister vomited at the table.  I don't blame my friend for not eating oatmeal again.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

3 Comments:

Blogger candyce said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 22, 2015 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger candyce said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 22, 2015 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger candyce said...

Hi Olivene and Tam! Here's a link to the profile about Olivene on the Georgia Writer's Assoc website:


http://www.georgiawriters.org/2015/07/authors-around-georgia-olivene-godfrey/

If this doesn't work for you, I'll email the link when I locate your email address. I've moved and am not yet organized so I can easily put my hands on the information.

July 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home