Tuesday, May 26, 2015

MORE ON ROOK

May 26, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

In my last blog, I mentioned that my late husband, Ralph and I had played the card game, Rook, with a couple who we met at a Florida fish camp back in the 1940's.  Our friend, Kym, commented on the blog and it brought back more memories from the days of the 1950's and 1960's when we played Rook with relatives and friends.

I asked Barry to research the card game, Rook, on the internet.  According to the information that he found, Rook was sometimes referred to as "Christian cards" or "Missionary poker".  Rook playing cards were introduced by Parker Brothers in 1906 to provide an alternative to regular playing cards for those in the Puritan tradition who considered the face cards in a regular deck inappropriate because of their association with "Gambling" and "Cartomancy" (fortune telling).

I would like to hear from anyone who still plays Rook, or who has in the past.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home