Monday, October 14, 2013

THOUGHTS ON BEING HEARING IMPAIRED AND BEING FAT

October 12, 2013

By Olivene Godfrey

When I was a young adult, it never crossed my mind that one day in the future I would be hearing impaired.  It didn't occur to me either that I'd also be fat.  I never thought of growing old, for that matter.

Several years ago, I started having some problems with my hearing.  Finally, Barry insisted I make an appointment with an audiologist to have my hearing checked.  The results showed I needed hearing aids.  And, I've worn them since then.  I hear sounds now that I hadn't heard in years.  But, the aids aren't perfect.

Barry bought a phone for me that was supposed to be hearing impaired compatible.  But, I still can't hear on the phone very well.  And sometimes not at all.  The problem is that not all voices sound alike to me.  I don't have any problem hearing certain people.  But soft voices are hard for me to try to figure out the words they are saying.  Loud voices sound distorted on the phone.  I have relatives and friends I'd like to talk to on the phone but I rarely do now.

Sometimes when I am in a room with another person, such as a doctor, I take Tam or Barry with me so they can interpret the doctor's words.  There are other other times when I don't have an interpreter with me and I know I look blank when I don't understand the person's words.  I have the feeling the person thinks I'm suffering from dementia.  And, I try to avoid restaurants during rush hours as the voice's are a constant roar in my ears.

About being fat now.  All of my childhood and young adulthood, I was tiny even though I ate like a horse.  When we were young, my late husband, Ralph and I would eat a bag of krispy kreme doughnuts in one sitting.  I would try to gain weight to no avail.

Finally, in my 50's I started gaining and my weight has been up and down since then.  During my recent bout with pneumonia, I lost 20 pounds.  Since then, I have been gaining it back.  The doctor thinks that since I eat very little food now that I needed exercise.  I've tried the exercises but it causes the arthritis in my knees to flare up which results in constant pain.  I have been walking some with my walker and will continue to do that.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home