Monday, September 16, 2013

OUR LARGE OLD GNARLED PEAR TREE HAS YIELDED BUMPER CROP OF FRUIT THIS YEAR

September 16, 2013

By Olivene Godfrey

Our large old gnarled pear tree has yielded a bumper crop of fruit this year.  Every day, Barry takes a large container of pears for his co-workers to enjoy.  We have also shared the pears with friends.

When we moved here in 1978, I tried to make pear preserves one year to no avail.  Some years the deer and squirrels ate the pears that fell to the ground.  And then there were years when we had a late frost and the pretty white blossoms turned brown and produced no fruit.

Our friend Kym and her mother, Peggy, made pear preserves from our tree a few days ago.  Kym will bring us a jar of the preserves to work this week, she and Barry are co-workers.  I love pear preserves and haven't been able to find good ones at the super market in several years.

We have a beautiful new front door for our house.  The contractor is installing it today.  The old door is painted red and white and I think the new door will be the same color.

About a week ago, Barry and I had our flu shot at our local Walgreen's, as our family doctor isn't giving them this year.

Tam and I are still exercising twice a week.  I don't get as sore now as I did at first.

Our friend, Genevelyn, visited Tam and myself one recent day.  We enjoyed the visit as we haven't seen her in several weeks.

I read in the newspaper that the oldest man in the world had died at the age of 112.  Barry asked if I planned to live that long.  I replied that I do plan to live that long and will probably be complaining of pain in my gut throughout those years.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home