Sunday, January 08, 2012

Comments on my favorite gospel song, "In the Garden".. & state of my health today





By Olivene Godfrey

I've mentioned to you all several times the past year that I have a form of anemia that has no cure but can be treated with regular boaster shots. I was getting these shots from a blood doctor which helped me function. Then, under Medicare's new guidelines, I was no longer eligible for the shots. I feel tired all the time now no matter how much rest I have.  I am going to have a blood test this week as I am feeling very tired this weekend.

"In the Garden"is a gospel song written by C, Austin Miles * 1868-1946 who worked as editor and manager at Hall-Mack publishers for 37 years. According to Miles' great-granddaughter, the song   written in "a cold dreary and leaky basement in New Jersey that didn't even have a window in it let alone a view of a garden. "

The song was first published in 1912 and popularized during the Billy Sunday evangelistic campaigns of the early 20th century by two members of his staff. Homer Rodeheaver and Virginia Asher.

Although this fact has been largely forgotten, Miles intended it as an Easter song; the speaker of the poem is Mary Magadlene.

The song has been recorded by several singers over the years.

It is my favorite gospel song and I have requested that it be sung at my funeral.

I'll try to write more when I am feeling better.

Please pray for me.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home