Sunday, December 04, 2011

I had a nasty fall but I'm a tough, old lady




By Olivene Godfrey

Last Friday morning, my mind was filled with thoughts of Christmas and the pretty tree son Barry had put up in the den in front of the fire place. I was resting in my recliner when I suddenly thought of something I needed to do in the kitchen.
Our den has a sunken floor with a step leading up to the adjoining kitchen. And, with no warning, in a fraction of a second, I lost my balance.  I knew I was falling and my mind was screaming, "NO, not now".My mind was addled after I hit the floor hard with back of my head striking the metal strip on the  top of the entrance. I was also having pain in my lower back. I started shouting for Barry and when he didn't reply, I remembered he was at work. I managed to sit up but there was no way I could get to my feet.

So, I pushed the button I wear around my neck on a nylon cord.
And almost immediately the wonderful emergency system alert system responded. Shortly,my good friend and neighbor Genevelyn who has a key to our house entered the den.  And then the EMT s arrived in an ambulance. After talking to me a few minutes, these efficient people had put guards on my neck and head and strapped me to a board. Son Barry had arrived and told the EMT s he wanted  me to have a complete exam. The room was crowded with people I noted as I was taken to the ambulance. (More about the trip in a later blog.) I was extensively x-rayed and had a cat-scan and the diagnoses was that I was actually in good condition for an 84 year old. 

When I was released from the hospital Barry brought me home and shortly thereafter Tam, my helper, arrived to stay with me while Barry returned to his shop for awhile. I am so grateful to the people who prayed for me.  I have been having some pain and a lot of stiffness.  If I take prescription medicine for pain, I have bad reactions so Aleve has been working quite well. The ER doctor said I haves a lot of arthritis in the back of my neck which I already knew. Barry and I give a lot of credit  to the reclast treatment I have once a year to help my bones to be stronger.

A big thank you to Barry's co-workers, Kym, Denise and his lady boss, Stephanie for a lovely flower arrangement delivered to me yesterday. I love to receive flowers so thank you, ladies. Barry's other boss,Brent, also came to the house while the EMT s
were still here. When Barry came home, he told me I was a tough old lady. 

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home