Thursday, November 17, 2011

Past Thanksgiving days & Son Barry and I are grateful for a good year.





By Olivene Godfrey

Barry and I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving day. This past year has been a time of positive change for both of us. And, we are grateful to God and a group which Barry calls The Ladies.  Our friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, has done so much for us. Then, my sis, Jeanette, highly recommended Tam, who is my helper now. Tam stays with me several hours each weekday and drives me to doctor's offices or wherever I need or want to go plus keeping our house clean and preparing my lunches.

And then Barry decided it was time for him to accept an attractive job offer. After sixteen years with the same company
it took courage for him to make the job change. Kym, in sales, and her sister, Denise, office secretary and Stephanie, president of the company which employs them, along with General Manager,
Brent, welcomed Barry to the new shop.  And Barry is so happy now and looks forward to going to work each day. And he is healthier since he doesn't have to work long hours.

For many years my late husband, Ralph, and Barry and I enjoyed bountiful Thanksgiving day dinners at home. Ralph would build a roaring fire in our huge creek-rock fireplace. And then he would settle back in his recliner and watch football games on the television all day with time out for dinner.  I started  preparing the dinner several days before the event.  And on the big day, I was up early and working in the kitchen. I had posted a list of things to do to make certain all the foods would be ready for our dinner about one o clock.  With one of our "company" tablecloths and napkins for the table, I would set the table with our "good dinnerware."  Sometimes my late mother and her husband would dine with us.  Ralph and Barry ate the turkey and dressing and all the trimmings along with made from scratch biscuits with gusto. After-wards,I saved leftovers and cleaned the kitchen. I was exhausted but had a warm feeling of satisfaction that the dinner had turned out so well.

After Ralph died nine years ago, Barry and I couldn't bear to prepare and eat a dinner at home with Ralph's dining captain chair empty. That year we ate in a restaurant on the holiday but it wasn't the same. For several years I cooked with Barry's help a dinner at home for us. Sometimes we invited a friend to eat with us. This year I'm just not physically able to cook a Thanksgiving dinner.  Barry and I haven't decided what we'll do on the special day.  Whatever we decide, we'll be grateful the good Lord has blessed us during the past year.

Wishing for you a Happy Thanksgiving day.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home