Saturday, October 29, 2011

Comments on pictures and manners and son Barry's green thumb




By Olivene Godfrey

The pictures posted yesterday were taken by son Barry after supper so I could show you my new haircut.  But, I hate pictures of myself now.  I know I can't expect to look like a young  or even middle-aged woman at my age (I'll be 84 December 10.) Still, I'm always surprised that I look so old! I'm like the old man who said he felt like a young man with something terribly  wrong with him.

           ---------------------------------
Let's think a moment about manners.  I don't think anyone enjoys being around a pretentious person. And I think some technically correct rules of etiquette are not only unnecessary but ridiculous in this Internet age.

But, while my views regarding manners may be old fashioned, I am still attracted to persons who are mannerly, considerate, honest, yet kind and tactful. I guess my definition of good manners is simply being kind, having an innate feeling of what is right toward others.

A knowledge of the rules of living in society does make us feel more comfortable . Yet, there are always rebels in any society. And some of these people possess brilliant minds of society despite their eccentricities. But. most us realize that we must learn the socially accepted ways of living with others in no matter what society we move.  And even in primitive societies there are such rules, often more complex than our own.

Amy Vanderbilt, etiquette authority, said that only a great fool or a genius is likely to flout all social graces with impunity.  And she adds that neither one, doing so, makes the most comfortable companion. Emerson said. "Good manners, the happy way of doing things."

            ------------------------------

With a frost forecast one day last week, Barry brought the patio plants into the garage for the upcoming winter , The plants are huge and the Season Cactus plant is covered with buds and should be in full bloom by Thanksgiving, then again at Christmas. And,last Easter it bloomed then.  Barry will bring the plant into my office in front of a window that get full morning sun and that I can admire all day when it is in bloom.

Inside, Barry's green thumb is also evident by the Peace Lily which has five blooms on it as I write this and just blooms it heart out year round.  Outside my window in the den, I have a view of a large holly shrub covered with red berries and is so pretty. 

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home