Sunday, November 27, 2011



Thanksgiving dinner with Tam, my helper,and her loving family and season cactus in full bloom, and accept gifts graciously.

By Olivene Godfrey

Son Barry and I enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with Tam, my helper, and her loving family in their charming home in a North Georgia village.  Barry and I had never been to the site but with Barry's amazing gadget(ipod Touch) we were able to drive right to Tam's family's home. (Tam lives in an apartment in her parents home.)

Tam's mother is being treated for cancer but seemed to be feeling well during the dinner.  But, Tam's father who has COPD was feeling bad. Please remember both of them in your prayers.  The food was delicious and Barry especially enjoyed the Southern style green beans and we both liked the Key Lime Pie which is a favorite of ours.

Our season cactus is in full bloom and Barry moved the plant inside to my office so the plant can get morning sun. Last year the plant bloomed at Thanksgiving and at Christmas and again at Easter. 

Each Christmas I'm reminded anew that there seems to be an art to accepting gifts.  Most people, except for a few Scrooge types know that it's blessed to give. But, for some reason, perhaps for a variety of reasons, some persons have difficulty accepting a gift.  Some people seem to have been born with the art of knowing how to give joy to the giver when they receive a gift. But, this art can be developed.

Just think about it- when you give a gift and its obviously appreciated, don't you feel a special glow of happiness!
On the other hand, one word, or even one look, can crush the giver. Some people seem to be under the impression that unless a gift is expensive it won't be appreciated so they don't give anything unless they can gift the best. And I feel sorry for such people as they miss so many moments of happiness.
Someone said that great grace goes with a little gift and all the offerings of friends are precious. Gifts are important
because we know that someone has thought of us. I know a person  who is so obviously delighted with even the smallest gift that its  truly  more blessed to give to him than to receive a gift.

See you next time.

2 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

hey I have just read about your fall I am so sorry that happened to you, I am so glad barry takes such good care of you. I also read that you had slept well last night thats a good thing. I am sorry I dont always get to read your musings, but have enjoyrd the ones I have read. Take care. We have juat had a snow storm and everything is covered in a blanket of white snow...I feel a ski trip coming on. xx

December 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger annie said...

hey I am sorry that you arent feeling well. You are in my thoughts and prayers and if its ok with you will send you love and light during my daily medetations. Take care, Annie

January 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home