Thursday, July 16, 2009

SUMMER MUSINGS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

This month marks my 6th anniversary of writing weekly in this space. At the age of 81 now, it gives me an outlet for my writing ideas. Also, writing weekly keeps my self-discipline working. Here's to six more years!

The crape myrtle bush that my sister-in-law, Joyce, and her late husband, Ray, gave me when my mother died in 2000 hasn't bloomed yet this year. It is healthy looking with dark green leaves but no blooms. Son Barry said yesterday, he saw some tiny buds on the bush, so it may bloom after all. We had a hard freeze back in the spring with temps in the 20s so that may have kept it from blooming. It has always been in full bloom on my mother's birthday, July 4th. Our pear tree had already bloomed when we had the frost and it doesn't have a single pear on it this year so I guess the frost can be blamed for that, too.

For several years, I have drank caffeine free tea and coffee. Recently, Barry suggested that I try caffeine free Diet Coke, too, as they have quite a lot of caffeine.So, I switched to that drink. So far, I haven't had insomnia for a while. Now I feel like I need a lift when its hard for me to get moving. But, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

One recent day, I was thinking that my mind had finally gone.
I walked into the den and heard a loud humming sound. I hurried to the door to check and see if the sound was coming from outside but all was quiet. Then, I noticed that the sound seem to be coming from the T.V. but it was turned off. As I stood there, listening intently, I heard the sound of voices talking. So, I thought, maybe I was hearing noise that wasn't there. When Barry came home, I told him of my experience.He laughed and said the two speakers he bought recently for my television were left on all the time and if someone in the area was talking on a CB radio the speakers would pick it up. Boy! Was that a relief.

Back in the spring, Barry planted wildflower seeds in a large container on the patio. The flowers are blooming now and are so pretty. All of our plants are thriving and the asparagus fern is beautiful and is the largest one I've ever seen. Barry takes care of all the plants now and does a super job.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home