Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MUSINGS ON A RAINY DAY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I recently told you that my crape myrtle bush hadn't bloomed this summer, possibly due to a hard frost in the spring. Well,
I'm happy to report that it is beginning to have beautiful red blossoms on it this week. Last Sunday, son Barry and I went to Dalton to eat lunch out and get haircuts. And, everywhere we looked during the drive, we saw gorgeous crape myrtles, some large and some small, in bloom. Our county seat, Chatsworth, is a designated "crape myrtle bush"town. And, it seems the entire area of the county are covered with the plants. Since we live at the foot of a mountain, all of our plants seem to take longer to bloom. By the way, I got a very short haircut and I can shampoo and dry my hair in a matter of minutes with no worries about it.

Our wonderful friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, brought another bag of green beans fresh from her garden last week over here.
Southern style green beans seasoned with salt pork is Barry's favorite vegetable. And, he cooked the beans in the Crock Pot 10 hours. Despite the fact that the nutrients were destroyed, he thoroughly enjoyed the beans and ate half a bowl of them with enough left over for the next day. He did point out that the beans still were rich in fiber so that was good.

The beans were cooking while Barry was at work. And, I was also cooking a pot roast and the aroma of the foods filled the house as I went about my chores. I was in my bedroom folding laundry, when the smoke detector in that room started chirping, scaring me half to death. Next to a death in the family, the worst possible thing that could happen to me would be to have my house burned down. I tried to stay calm as I went through the house and didn't smell or see any smoke. The smoke detector stopped chirping and I called Barry. He said that the smoke detectors were very sensitive and he reminded me of when we had one in the dining room and every time we baked something in the oven, it sounded off. So, he believed the strong aroma of the foods had caused the false alarm, thank God.

Last year, I bought a "memory" mattress that feels like I'm floating on a cloud when I lay on it. Trouble is, I think it is also alive. The mattress and box springs are thicker than my old mattress and I have to climb up the side to get into the bed. Then, I feel like I did on a feather mattress at my paternal grandparents when I was s kid. The mattress seems to fight me as I move across the bed to the center where my "memory" is located. But, despite that, the mattress feels wonderful and worth the struggle to get to the "memory" position.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home