Sunday, November 08, 2009

PANTRY MOTHS IN OUR KITCHEN PANTRY & OTHER THINGS ON MY MIND

By OLIVENE GODFREY

"Pantry moths", also known as "Flour moths" and its larvae (caterpillars), are a common grain-feeding pest found around the world, feeding on cereals and dry grains products. The entire lifespan cycle may range from 30 to 300 days. Until the pests invaded our kitchen pantry, I had never heard of them. And one recent day, every-time we opened the pantry doors, the tiny moths swarmed out into the kitchen. Barry did some research on moths on the web and these tiny moths aren't the wool eating kind that can play havoc with winter clothing. Barry killed a lot of them but we knew that we had to find the source of an infestation.

A package of grits that Barry had bought some time ago had been opened and used one time and then pushed to the back of a shelf and forgotten. He carefully removed the package and took it outside. When he opened the package, out swarmed the little pests. We're still seeing one or two a day and Barry is looking for "non-toxic traps" he read about in his research. For example,
one type of trap is a triangular box with a lure inside, and sticky walls and we hope to get rid of the pests.

Barry is staying on his diet and has lost a few pounds. He knows though he has to resume using our stationery bike.
I have lost a few pounds, too, as all of those "samples" I had eaten of Barry's sweets weren't good for me either. Ingle's bakery offers delicious sugar free goodies which we are eating in moderation.

I told you recently that Barry and I were considering eating in a restaurant on Thanksgiving day. Since I have been feeling stronger, I remembered how much we had enjoyed our dinners at home over the years. So, I added some of the foods we'll need for our dinner to this week's grocery list. And, Barry bought a frozen Butterball turkey breast. Barry says he will help me with the cooking and cleaning up afterward. We may invite a friend to dine with us.

I recently received a most rewarding letter from a man I was acquainted with when he was a youth living in our county. Now, he lives in Atlanta and he says that writing has enabled him to have a successful career for more than 20 years. He thanked me for drawing out his interests and encouraging him when I was associated with the Creative Arts Guild in Dalton. I wrote him a letter and thanked him for his kind words but his talent and determination deserve a lot of credit for his success. He says he reads my entries on my blog and for that I'm grateful.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home