Sunday, October 18, 2009

BARRY'S SUGAR-FREE DIET & MY PORCUPINE HAIR

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I will see the blood doctor regarding my anemia and results of blood tests tomorrow and hopefully he will give me a diagnosis and start treatments. I feel tired all the time and hope I will regain my strength with treatments. I will keep you posted.

--------------------------------------

Son Barry has been on a sugar-free diet about a week. He inherited a sweet tooth from me and went cold turkey, cutting sweets from his diet. I also was forced to give up most sweets when I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 a few years ago.
Before the diagnosis, I would load up on "sweet goodies" from Ingle's great bakery. I also loved Classic Coke since I was a child and they were definitely tabu on my diet. I switched to Diet Coke and now like it fine. Barry had always loved the taste of Sprite but now drinks Sprite zero. After I started my diet, I lost 18 pounds in about two weeks.

Barry who has a lot of self-control made up his mind to give up sweets when he started gaining a few pounds. He still looks good but he says he is "out of shape" now and needs to start exercising again. He works long hours and has to walk a lot and he felt he was getting enough exercise. While he was still lifting weights, he would load up with sugary baked goods and eat every morsel after I had "sampled" some of the sweets.
The sweets tempted me so I benefit, too, by Barry giving them up. We both have been eating a few sugar free cookies.
My blood sugar readings didn't go up when I sampled the goodies but it was a matter of time, I think. Another reason Barry didn't want to become obese was the fear of having Diabetes like me. He also read on the Internet that snacks, not meals, are causing the big increase in calorie intake in our nation.
About my porcupine haircut. The hairdresser that we had used for years moved back to her hometown and we started getting haircuts at the mall. Some of the haircuts were very good but some not so good. For instance, when we went to the mall recently, I told the stylist that I wanted a real short haircut.
I knew I had doctor appointments and treatments coming up and didn't want to bother with my hair. The stylist was a sweet young woman but she nearly scalp-ed me. When I looked at my reflection in the mirror I nearly cried. My hair was spiked like a porcupine's protecting spines. I've seen young women and men with spiked hair. But,picture this-- an 81 year old woman with mostly gray spiked hair. I have tamed part of my hair but the back is still impossible. Fortunately, my hair grows fast. I am looking for a new hair salon. Barry suggested I wear one of my many caps when I go out in public.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home