Wednesday, July 19, 2006

REFLECTIONS DURING HEAT WAVE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I am recuperating from an apparent stomach virus.
For several days, I felt really bad and still don't
feel chipper.

The oppressive heat wave, and the bad air quality, is
keeping me confined to my air-conditioned home. Son
Barry's shop doesn't have AC and he has been suffering
from the heat. He is able to wear shorts to work and
he drinks lots of water. I have a large pitcher of
iced tea waiting for him which hits the spot on a
hot day. We are supposed to have cooler weather this
weekend which will be welcomed here.

------------------------------------

I have written several times about my problems with three
new toasters that Barry bought for me. There isn't anything
wrong with my 30-year-old chrome covered toaster except
for occasionally propelling the toast out of the toaster
onto the counter. Barry just thought we needed a new toaster
The new ones have wider slots for the bread that seem to be
incapable of turning out a decent piece of toast.

I was about to think I was the only person on earth who
had a toaster problem. And then Barry read in the Customer
Review section of Amazon on the net that many people share
my problem. In fact, each year, a convention for old-toaster
enthusiasts is held in different places across the country.
At these events about a hundred people gather for a toaster
show of tell and auctions and competitions. Some of the old
toasters sell for large prices. I will continue to use
mine as long as possible.

---------------------------------------------

I was thinking recently of my love for Coca Cola which goes
back to my childhood. I remember how I rejected the Coke
for awhile for Double Cola. Being a skinny kid with a huge
appetite, I chose the Double Cola because it was twice as
big as Coke. There's a childhood picture of me in one
of our albums in which I look mad and my Daddy had written
at the bottom of the picture. " I want a Double Cola."

Double Cola is a regionally manufactured U.S. brand of soft
drink, predominantly distributed east of the Mississippi
River and is available in selected international markets.

I grew up in Chattanooga where the Double Cola is
headquartered, which is probably why it was available
to us. I Haven't seen one in a long time. Barry says
he is going to try to find one for me so I can see if it
still taste as good as it did when I was a skinny kid.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home