Wednesday, July 26, 2006

DADDY GOT THE LAST LAUGH

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Since I was diagnosed with Diabetes, type 2, a couple of years
ago, I have tried to eat five or six small meals a day as nutrition experts recommend. Son Barry goes to the grocery
store once a week and I make a detailed typed list for him.
I spend a great deal of time on the list and trying to think
of diet foods for my meals. I cook supper most nights and
try to have healthy meals for Barry as well as myself.
Our meals at home are mostly healthy but we occasionally stray
from the health foods.

Son Barry recently had a physical and found out he has
arthritis. He had a complete lab work-up and all was fine
except that his cholesterol is a little high. The doctor
gave him some samples of a cholesterol lowering drug to try.
He goes back to the doctor for another cholesterol test
in a couple of months.

For some time, I have been having a hearing problem. I am
afraid I am missing out on a lot of things because I can't hear
clearly. When I have my physical in August, I plan to talk
to the doctor about hearing. My late Daddy and one of his
sisters were hard of hearing. Actually, Daddy could hear
fine in one ear but the other was completely deaf. My
late mother told me a funny story long ago about Daddy
and his hearing problem.

Mother said that Daddy, a Methodist preacher, was pruning the
parsonage shrubbery one day when a pompous church member came
to see him about a problem she had with his sermons. Mother was
inside the parsonage near an open window and she said
that the woman was giving Daddy an ear full about his sermons
not knowing she was talking near Daddy's deaf ear. He didn't hear her, and didn't realize what was happening. When he saw
the woman, he smiled and greeted her warmly and was bewildered
by her sputtering and her red face as she ran to her car
and sped away. Inside the parsonage, Mother was having a
good laugh, and when daddy came inside she filled him in
on the episode, and having a keen sense of humor, Daddy
saw the humor in it.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home