Monday, October 05, 2015

OPRY TURNING 90

October 5, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

I've been reading about the Grand Ole Opry turning 90 years old this month.  Barry pointed out that I was a toddler a few years later.  And my memory of my daddy listening to the Opry's radio program on Saturday nights is still vivid in my mind.  I have a special memory of a comic singer who would sing, "I'm dreaming tonight about my blue eyed sweetheart."  Daddy would laugh so hard tears would run down his cheeks when the singer would "break down" and cry.

Radio was still new.  I was born in December, 1927, and my parents married in December, 1926.  My Uncle Alvin rented a radio to play at my mother and daddy's wedding reception.

Barry bought me a new electric heat pad to use on my arthritic knees.  My old one was broken and the thermal wraps gave me some relief but needed to be heated in the microwave often.

A few years ago, a Home Health therapist gave me a "squeeze ball" to use for exercise for my arthritic fingers.  They are also known as "tension release balls".  I squeeze mine often.  I was talking to Tam one day last week about the ball and I told her if I don't like someone or am upset with someone, I imagine I am squeezing their heads off!  She thought it was funny, I think!

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home