Monday, May 02, 2011

Comments on deadly tornado in north Georgia and Barry's sugar free diet.

By Olivene Godfrey

Last Wednesday night and early Thursday the most powerful tornado to strike north Georgia in years left a path of destruction and death in Catoosa County which is located near our county.
And I have special memories of the small town of Ringgold which was in ruins after a deadly tornado rolled over the area. When I was a young teenager,I lived for a couple of years with my family in a tiny town only a few miles from Ringgold which is located near Interstate-75. IN those days, Ringgold had a drugstore and my friends and I went there for fountain Cokes from the soda fountain.

Years later, my father-in-law, a Methodist preacher, pastored the Methodist church at Ringgold and he and his wife lived there for several years. Also, Ringgold isn't very far from our home. And, I was a bundle of nerves Wednesday as Chattanooga TV stations followed the storms and issued warnings. At one point, a tornado warning for our county,the TV weather people advised us to seek shelter. As we don't have a basement in our house, I fled to son Barry's bathroom which has no windows or outside door. The wind was blowing hard but not as much as it has in the past. Still, I was frightened and near hysterics until the warning was lifted.

Son Barry remembers when I had "nerves of steel" I told him that night how nervous I had been. He reminded me of the night when we lived in Chatsworth and a tornado struck the downtown section. My late husband and Barry and I huddled in a small hallway. We lived only a couple of blocks from the downtown main street. We heard the roaring noise which sounded like a train, then a moment of silence in the dark as the power went off. And, then the twister hit. When the storm had passed, I spent the rest of the night and early the next morning covering the tornado for several newspapers and The Associated Press.

I don't remember being so scared back then.When we lived in Florida we survived two hurricanes and even then I didn't fall apart. I am grateful we survived this latest storm with no damage. As I watched the TV coverage of the damage and loss of life in Ringgold, I pray for the people who lost loved ones and their homes and everything they owned.

------------------------------

Barry recently had a medical check up and everything was fine except his lab work which showed he needed to cut back on the sugar foods he has eaten for years. The doctor told Barry it isn't a problem yet but since I have diabetes type 2, it would be wise to have a sugar free diet. Since he isn't buying lots of delicious sugary desserts when he buys our groceries, except for a few sugar-free sweets, I may lose some weight, too, as I won't be sampling them and will be able to stay on my diet better.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home