Monday, April 11, 2011

Mexican Coca-Cola evokes memories and thoughts on Sunday activities.

By Olivene Godfrey

When son Barry brought home groceries and supplies for a week last Saturday, he told me he had bought a bottle of Mexican Coca-Cola at our favorite supermarket. I asked him, "What's Mexican Coco-Cola.?" He explained that, its said to taste better than U.S. made Cokes because it still uses cane sugar as its main sweetener, while U.S. Cokes are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. He added that some say the glass bottles make it taste better than the plastic and canned U.S. Cokes.

I asked Barry where he found the Mexican Coco-Cola and he said it was in the gourmet and imported section and was quite expensive. He added the drink is popular among Mexican Americans and migrants and can be found in California, Florida, Georgia and several other states. My thoughts went back to the spring of 1985 when Coco-Cola announced they were changing the formula of the popular drink. A large number of Coke drinkers resented the change in formula and made it known. Many of these drinkers were Southerners, some of whom considered the drink a fundamental part of regional identity. Over 400,000 calls and letters were received by the company. A psychiatrist who Coke hired to listen to phone calls told executives that some people sounded as if they were discussing the death of a family member.

The new Coke experience infuriated the public and lasted only 77 days before Classic Coke was reintroduced. We didn't drink the new Coke and were delighted to have the old Coke back. I remembered when I was a child living with my family in a Chattanooga suburb during the 1930s. On hot lazy summer days my girlfriend and I would order Cokes and frozen Mound candy bars from the soda fountain of a nearby drug store.

Son Barry remembered that story and bought a pack of miniature Mound candy bars so I could take a nostalgic trip when I tasted the Mexican Coke. It did taste good and crisp. But, I had been diagnosed with diabetes and couldn't drink sugar drinks. So, I continued drinking Diet-Coke then Coco-Cola Zero when it was introduced. Barry and I think Coke Zero tastes a lot like the Cokes of our childhood. So we won't be buying the expensive imported Mexican Coke.

------------------------------------------

Barry and I went to Dalton on Sunday and ate a delicious lunch off the Western Sizzlin buffet. I avoided IBS trigger foods and had no trouble digesting my lunch. When we returned home, Barry took a pretty bouquet of spring flowers he had bought at Hobby Lobby to place in the vase on his late dad and my late husband's grave. He then went to Ace Hardware in Chatsworth and bought inpatients and marigold bedding plants and came home and planted them in large containers filed with Miracle Grow soil. He also transported the huge asparagus fern from the garage to the patio. It is larger than it was last summer and may have a record growth this year. The other plants are doing well, too, thanks to Barry's tender loving care.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home