Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Injured pot-belied pig took refuge in corner of our patio this week.

By Olivene Godfrey,

During the 33 years we've lived in our house in the country, a variety of animals have visited our yard, including a scary black bear! But, the pot-bellied pig was a "first" for us.
When son Barry arrived home from work he asked if I'd seen the large animal crouched in a corner of our patio. I replied that I hadn't seen an animal and I looked out of the big window and asked Barry if he knew what kind of animal it was and he thought it was some kind of hog.

Barry suggested I call our friend and neighbor, Genevelyn, and ask if she knew what the animal could be. She asked if it was a wild hog that had come down from the mountain and I told her we didn't know. So she came over and stayed on the outside of the rock patio wall and looked at the animal and said, "It's a pot-bellied pig." She added that she'd call the sheriff's office and report it. Shortly, a deputy arrived and told us to stay inside as even a domesticated injured animal could be dangerous.

In a little while, four women workers from Animal Control arrived and using their special equipment, they were able to get the pig into their vehicle. Later, Barry did some research on the pot-bellied pig and it is a breed of domesticated pig originating in Vietnam. The pigs are very social and affectionate creatures and they need love and all the attention they can get. They will flop on their sides for tummy rubs and love having their tough hide scratched. They just enjoy being close and seem to prefer lying on their companions feet.

This week Genevelyn called animal control and they told her the vet checked the pig and it was fine except for some animal, probably a dog, had made the red places on its rump. They kept it about a week and then found its owner who was delighted to get it back. She added that the pig let them pet it and was real sweet. So, this story has a happy ending.

-----------------------------

Barry and I made a quick trip to Dalton so I could get a haircut at the mall. The hair stylist that cut my hair was an out-going friendly young man and we proceeded to have an interesting
conversation about music which a radio was playing.Then, he asked what kind of work I did before I retired. I replied that I was a writer and that I had been writing a blog for about eight years. He seemed to be awestruck and proceeded to "interview" me about my long writing career. When he finished cutting my hair which looked very stylish, he turned to Barry who was sitting nearby and said, "You have a cool mom" Barry smiled. Later, I asked Barry if he agreed with the young man and he said he did which pleased me.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home