Monday, February 14, 2011

Random thoughts on an early spring & other topics

By Olivene Godfrey

As I write this, bright sunshine is streaming into my office windows and I am thinking of an early spring despite the famed groundhog's prediction. Last week on two separate days robins swooped down onto our front yard and feasted on the bountiful bird buffet before flying south. And, some of our trees are showing signs of budding and have son Barry and me suffering from a spring-like allergy. And, the temp outside yesterday was 60 degrees which is the same forecast for today and next few days. I pray the snows and extremely cold weather is over.

I had a pleasant surprise twice last week when the mail brought two packages from my niece, Ami, and her husband, Bobby. The first package contained a beautiful crystal swan paperweight that they sent me when I sprained my wrist. The second package was a green paperweight with a shell imprint on it. Since Ami and Bobby live in Florida, they thought the shell paperweight had a more Florida style. Both of the paperweights add beauty to my collection.

I recently bought a new outfit that I ordered from a mail order house that has pretty clothes. The shell top and jacket fit perfectly but, as usual, the pants were about a foot too long and had to be altered. What gives with clothes manufacturers anyway? Do they think all women are tall and leggy?

When I was a little girl, I loved to make pictures with a small camera my parents gave to me. As I grew older I continued to take lots of pictures, a practice that continued after my late husband, Ralph, and I married. Now I have stacks of photo albums with pictures made over the years. When Barry occasionally looks at the albums he says I must have made pictures of him every day and he is right about that. We also had Olen Mills photographs made of him over the years. I have a bunch of pictures that need to he put in albums if I ever have time.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make pictures as my hands aren't steady enough now. I have two good 35 mm cameras that I used a lot to shoot pictures for articles which I sold to newspapers. Barry has a digital camera which makes good pictures but he rarely prints them out. They look good on the large TV screen in the den but I still like to have prints to hold in my hands. So, I'm old fashioned! In the past, I made pictures of sunrises over our mountains and of the picturesque view seen from our front windows. Some of these I've had enlarged and they hang on my office walls. I've also sold some of these pictures to newspapers. Barry is a good photographer and has made some excellent pictures which he printed such as the ones that have appeared in this space.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home