Tuesday, August 08, 2006

THANK GOD FOR AIR CONDITIONING
By OLIVENE GODFREY
As I write this, we here in northwest Georgia are still
having an oppressive heat wave. And when the weather folks
tell us that cooler temps are forecast, they really mean
that the temps won't soar above 95 degrees. Last week,
the official temp one day was 100 degrees and the heat index
has routinely been around 104 degrees outside.

Son Barry stayed in air conditioning most of the time this past
weekend as he had suffered so much last week from the heat. He dreaded going back to work on Monday and says it is almost
unbearably hot during his ten hour work day.

I hadn't been outside of my AC house in about two weeks or so until this past Sunday. I had some business I needed to take
care of at the Dalton mall and I also planned to get a haircut
while we were over there. The day didn't start well as I didn't
feel too good but decided to get outside no matter what. Barry
drove us over there in his AC car and during the drive, we noticed that the wicked rag weed alongside of the road is in
full bloom. And, Barry and I are so allergic to it that we
can drive by the plants in a car with windows up and still
get an allergy attack.

We walked from the car to the mall and I began to realize
just how hot the weather is now. We had brought my wheel chair
along in the trunk and I thought I might need it before the
trip was over. I wasn't able to resolve all of my business
at the mall which was frustrating and there was a long line
of people waiting to get haircuts. I had forgotten that the
weekend was Georgia's tax free weekend and the mall was becoming
more crowded by the minute. I decided I needed to go home and
to come back on another day. Barry went to the car and got
my wheelchair and pushed me to the car. While I waited in the intense heat in the car as Barry put the wheelchair in the trunk,
I thought of how horrible it must be for small children who are left in hot cars alone and of those who don't survive .
Those responsible for such acts deserve severe punishment.

when we arrived back at our house, I went inside and quickly
changed my clothes to cooler attire. Then, I medicated
myself and splashed cold water on my face. I then relaxed
in my recliner. I did get up once to eat a small bowl of
orange sherbet. When I got rested, I felt better. Barry
told me the next Friday he doesn't have to work, we will
return to the mall for our haircuts. Hopefully, the heat
wave will be broken by then. I hope all of you are staying
cool these days.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home